Tuesday, May 3, 2011

the magnet and the mess

He's still here. It wouldn't bother me so much except there's still the mess he made that no one has forgotten. I've managed to evade him and the mess by declining over a year's worth of invitations and great nights in which I knew he'd be in attendance. I had to stop visiting with his sister, who'd been my friend for a while before his arrival, because it seemed everywhere she was, there he would be, him, standing five feet behind her, laughing that big monstrous laugh. Every encounter was weighted with that strange tension that followed his dismissal of me (a heady mix of guilt, shame and regret) and it was so unbearable I couldn't enjoy myself knowing he was in the room.

And then, the ship sank, the days passed, things carried on. And time did what it does.

The sting of the mess, the rage I felt over it, the unnecessary bullshit and drama, after that much time, it seemed like something not worth caring about any longer. When he appeared that day and he greeted me with open arms, I fell into them and we hugged, it felt like a relief, like it was all over and that mess was gone, especially with all we had to deal with that day.

And maybe I was too grief stricken to give him anything else, not even a glance, not even words, not even including him in our hasty plans (and why should I have to be the one to encourage him?). Or maybe I was scared because it had been so long and there was still that magnetic pull between us. Still. I was so disappointed in myself, but there it was, those spinning, stomach churning, blushing feelings I had felt so long ago.

A few days later we all found ourselves together again and in my nervousness from being late and having nothing proper and decent to wear to a funeral and knowing he would be there, I slighted him, sweeping past him to find solace in the people I felt comfortable with. I ignored his laughter on the ride to the service, I ignored his owlish eyes that I felt searching for mine, I sensed there was a question there that I did not want to answer again, it needed to rest.

Except then, there was booze to soothe us all. With every drink he became more wild-eyed, more angry, more and more of a reminder of why I was grateful nothing ever happened between us, he reminded me of the burnham, he had that same moody glare for me and it made me hide. So I spent the rest of the night avoiding him and wishing he would pass out on the bar.

Instead, I watched with horror as he flirted with a friend's girlfriend, danced with everyone, sidled up into conversations just to stare at me with a curiosity that burned so hard it made me cringe. What does it matter? I wanted to scream. Of course I still care about you. If I didn't, would I even have a hard time talking to you? I can talk to anyone, I'm an expert at talking to people, but with him I had no words and nothing to say.

Eventually, finally, I saw his gaping mouth being held up by his splayed hand, the palm holding his chin, the glasses crooked, the stubble abhorrent, the bar holding him upright, dozing off. They tried to slap him awake and he resumed his disgusting pose. And I stood there wondering how it had happened. Was it because he was so taken with me when we met? Or was it that he seemed so promising when there was nothing? Sometimes, I think it was because back then, he felt different and familiar.

We decided to go to 907. It was a crazy scheme that brought several of us stumbling toward that place we'd known Peter for. There were a lot of us. I didn't realize he was coming, figuring he'd go home after falling asleep on the bar, but then someone said, hey get the door, and there he was, the magnet. I saw that glare and pushed the door open for him, just enough so he could grab it, and I ran away from him. And he knew it. He spoke in disgust about me. He hated me for it. After all the shit he did, all the shit he put me through, he wanted more than anything not to be the bad guy, except he was.

He sauntered up and stood right next to me. I sensed he felt the need to bully me, and I did not back down, but inside I was trembling, I did not want to let the bitterness explode, not that day after all the days I had held it in, and so I let the anger pass, and then I let myself behave the way he wanted me to, I pretended like nothing was wrong, that nothing had happened, that he wasn't a giant fucking asshole who everyone loathed, I showed concern and interest, I let myself love him again.

And when he entered that room and collapsed across the bed and fell asleep, then I was free. The tension that had been on me all night was gone. And that will be the last time I ever see him.

It may mean giving up those friends and that life that connected us, but they never belonged to me anyhow.

No comments: