Thursday, March 5, 2009

the culmination of three months time

Once again, Iowa has turned me away, taken the fullness of all I had to offer and said no to me. And once again, it is almost more a relief to know, to just have an answer. I've never been good at living in uncertainty. Chaos I can handle, I can deal with, but not knowing is hard on me.

In a lot of ways I'm relieved not to have to uproot myself, set myself and my writing up to constant scrutiny, suffer what is rumored to be a harsh and treacherous path to writing glory. Even though it offered a proscribed change that I was willing to accept and looking forward to taking on, I am glad that it was a no.

I don't know what lies beyond today. It is a good feeling that brings both sides of the spectrum of feelings with it. And all I can say is that I know I am lucky to be in this position yet again, that I have the world at my feet, that I am at another fork in the road with no burdens and little responsibility to hold me back.

All of what I do is pushing to be something I've always wanted to be. It all seems unnatural, unfair, when I get home I'm too tired to do the thing I love most. I never said it better than I did in his presence (the brit's), when asked what I do for a living, that everything I do is to support me as a writer. Iowa fit into that, but not being there doesn't mean I can't still be a writer. That's the thing people don't get. Of course I'm disappointed I didn't get in to Iowa (again) but it doesn't mean anything other than I didn't get in (again).

The truth is, I don't write as much as I could, I don't focus on my success as a writer as much as I could, I don't do all that I could be doing to be a working writer. So as with other things in my life, I'm going to see what occurs when I give it my full attention, when I approach a problem with a renewed sense of discipline, earnestness and enthusiasm for seeing some glimmer of progress.

And maybe actually focusing on my writing and not the path will lead me somewhere worth going.

No comments: