Friday, January 9, 2009

new phone

I finally got a new phone. I basically haven't had a phone since New Year's Day when I observed with some panic that my phone stopped working after taking a dunking in the toilet during a particularly reckless night of cele-libations on New Year's Eve ($2 drink parties are always hazardous to my health and well being). Of course, it is no surprise that it was him I was hoping to hear from, and him that drove me to constantly have my phone in my hand that night.

My old phone was one of the remaining elements of my ex boyfriend that lingered as a constant reminder of what had been. He bought it for my birthday to rid me of the ancient (or as I called it, "vintage") Nokia phone that was my first cell. The poor thing was held together by hope and a prayer. If it happened to fall, it would do a Matrix style shattering that involved five pieces of the phone separating into a line on the floor. I could scoop them all up, lay them on top of each other; battery cover, battery, guts of the phone, rubber number key, front cover and by some miracle the phone would be just fine. It still works and I had been reluctant to send it back to Sprint, for the just in case scenario.

It seems strange that a phone could be some barometer of my slow, steady crawl into adulthood, but I noticed that I did not want to reinstate my old Nokia, that I absolutely had to have a new phone. I had twenty bucks to my name the day I realized this, so I waited patiently for the money from my many jobs to come in and bought my new phone. I suppose the one thing I lacked in this process was the search for a cheaper alternative, but it didn't really matter to me. The time I would have spent trying to find something fifty to seventy dollars cheaper wasn't worth it to me. I could have bought a cheaper phone at the store, but I wanted a camera, which is the one thing that makes my Nokia phone useless to me. I did it right, is how I put it to my friends. This phone will last as long as it will and then it will be a new phone sometime in the near future, if my track record is any indication.

Given that I rarely purchase new things for myself (mostly shoes, a pair of jeans here and there, and the occasional item on sale at Urban Outfitters) I think it is fine that I spent nearly two hundred bucks on a phone. Besides, maybe that's the consequence I needed to keep my phone in my purse where it belongs and not in my hand poised to take a dive into the toilet.

No comments: