Wednesday, November 12, 2008

a general filling in of the blanks

: I love my new apartment. I sit and look out the window with great pleasure, on a horizon of trees and buildings lower than my vantage (the fifth floor) and an ever changing sky. I leave my blinds up and the southern morning light wakes me every morning, no matter how reluctant I may be. I still have a lot of work to do to make it my home, but it has great potential.

: I still have four jobs. I babysit for the kid, I am a Rent-A-Friend, I work at the cafe and I'm a housekeeper. I quite like the diversity and the varying degrees of "responsibility" I have acquired. Sometimes I don't know how I can keep it all working, but somehow it works. It helps that everyone I work for is excessively delighted by my abilities.

: I am still applying for Iowa. I've begun to craft an entirely new manuscript. It is still early in the process, but my writing partner and I are trying to meet more regularly and I feel good about this new material.

: A random freelance article I wrote for a friend's magazine is going to be published on oprah.com. I wish I was kidding. It's at once exciting and repulsive.

: Of course I've already begun to attract guys to my side. I find that I've been open for novelty's sake, but there's nothing I am rushing into. I have a new crush who drives me work on my least favorite day of the week. Seeing him makes me glad, smile, giddy. I have no reservations, but no worries either.

No comments: